Surgical Oncology at Nurick Surgical Institute
Oncology has numerous ways to diagnose and treat cancer, and surgical oncology works to use surgery to diagnose, stage, and treat cancer. Surgically removing harmful tumors can help manage cancer-related symptoms, and our surgical oncologists at the Nurick Surgical Institute work through a multidisciplinary approach to combine surgery with other therapies to create comprehensive plans for cancer patients.
Our oncologic surgeons have years of experience in performing surgical procedures for both benign and non-benign tumors. These surgeries can also be used to control pain, increase your comfort level, and improve your quality of life. By working with our patients, we take the time to discuss treatment options available to them and answer any questions or concerns. Surgical oncology works to help people during various stages of cancer, and depending on your diagnosis; our team can perform surgeries to:
- Prevent Cancer: In some cases, patients at risk for cancer, including those with the presence of tumors or cysts, can be removed through preventative surgical methods.
- Diagnose Cancer: Diagnostic surgery, or biopsies, can help our oncologists diagnose cancer type through surgical means.
- Determining Cancer: Through staging methods, surgery can be used to determine cancer’s location, how it spread, and any organs that cancer’s affected. These methods can also determine whether or not it’s too dangerous to remove the tumor surgically and plan out a treatment plan that encompasses both surgery and chemotherapy/radiation.
- Treat Cancer: In order to remove the cancer cells completely, two surgery methods are used to help rid the body of cancer cells. These include:
- Curative Surgery: Curative surgery can be performed when the tumor is located in one single area, and the surgeon can remove the tumor completely. Even with complete tumor removal, chemotherapy and radiation therapy may also be needed to prevent the cancer cells from reoccurring.
- Debulking Surgery: When the situation is too dangerous to remove cancer fully, debulking surgery can be used to as much of the tumor as possible and then treat the remaining cancer cells with radiation therapy or chemotherapy.
These surgeries can all be performed through various techniques, including open surgery, minimally invasive surgery, and other procedures that can help prevent cancer growth, metastasis, and reoccurrence. Through this means of treatment, many cancer types can be treated, including brain cancer, breast cancer, thyroid cancer, uterine cancer, kidney cancer, and colon cancer. Through our team, we’ll provide enhanced recovery methods to reduce fatigue post-surgery complications and promote post-surgical care.
Cancer Surgery at Nurick Surgical Institute
Through this field of medicine, our specialists and oncologic surgeons can provide surgical management for benign and cancerous tumors and provide intervention methods for better health. Whether you are a candidate for cancer surgery depends on various factors, but through our highly qualified team of surgeons, we can provide comprehensive treatment that improves your quality of life. While surgery isn’t right for every type of cancer, it’s an effective treatment we proudly provide for those in need. For more information about our surgeries and treatment options, schedule your first consultation with us today!